QRコード
'FIRST-HAND PERSPECTIVE'
2010年09月02日 16:30

Picnic honors visitors from Corning's sister city

Group from Japan vists Niagara Falls, New York City

By Jeff Murray
jdmurray@gannett.com
Staff Writer

PAINTED POST -Students and adults from Corning's sister city of Kakegawa, Japan, are seeing some of New York's most famous sights this week, but they might have had just as much fun playing a pickup baseball game Sunday.

The group arrived in the area last Thursday and took part in a picnic in their honor Sunday at Craig Park in Painted Post.

Corning has had a sister city arrangement with Kakegawa for 20 years, and a group from Corning visited the Japanese city in July.

In addition to seeing local attractions with their host families, the group visited Niagara Falls on Friday and will make a trip to New York City during their stay.

"They get a first-hand perspective of American life that they wouldn't get if they were just here on vacation," said Kakegawa Program Coordinator Ben Fimlaid.

"They've had a very successful stay."

Steuben County legislator Phil Palmesano of Coorning was on hand for Sunday's picnic to provide the guests with an official welcome."When you see the smiles on the kid' faces, you know what a success this program is," Palmesano said.

Some of the Kakegawa visitors have been to Corning several times. For Akira Umeda, vice president of the group, it was his first experience here.

"It's very beautiful. There's a lot of nature," Umeda said. "I love nature, so I love this city".

"I went to Watkins Glen on Saturday, and I went on the boats on Seneca Lake. It was very beautiful."

書き込みツリー表示
'FIRST-HAND PERSPECTIVE' - 10/09/02 16:30 (シンちゃん)